Tuesday, May 1, 2012

Update: Minimized Knee Pain!! HORAAY!!

I am officially a month out of surgery. I have shared previously about the pain from arthritis and other ailments I have been experiencing in my joints, specifically my right knee. This was my 6th surgery (a couple ACL tears, meniscectomy, etc.) on this knee. Our goal was to minimize my pain and clear out what was causing my knee to catch and pop. All reports say the surgery was a success! Praise God.

Fortunately, I had solid muscle mass going into surgery so I am not at a very significant deficit and am gaining strength daily.

Since there is very little I can control when it comes to the existing osteoarthritis in my knee, I am going to control what I can. For now, those consist of limiting high impact activities (running and volleyball) and losing weight.

Now I realize I am not in the "overweight" category but I have been researching additional options for keeping my joints as healthy as possible and smart weight loss seems to be a strong option.

A study published in 2005 by WebMD says:


The benefits of weight loss may be multiplied fourfold for people who suffer from osteoarthritis of the knee.
A new study shows that for each pound of body weight lost, there is a 4-pound reduction in knee joint stress among overweight and obese people with osteoarthritis of the knee.

Researchers say the results indicate that even modest weight loss may significantly lighten the load on your joints.
"The accumulated reduction in knee load for a 1-pound loss in weight would be more than 4,800 pounds per mile walked," writes researcher Stephen P. Messier, PhD, of Wake Forest University in the July issue of Arthritis & Rheumatism. "For people losing 10 pounds, each knee would be subjected to 48,000 pounds less in compressive load per mile walked."
Although there are no studies that have shown weight loss can slow the progression of osteoarthritis of the knee, researchers say a reduction of pressure on the joints of this magnitude would appear to have a major impact on the disease. Obesity is one of the most important risk factors for osteoarthritis of the knee.

Weight Loss Takes Pressure Off the Knee
Osteoarthritis is the leading cause of disability in the U.S. The disease progressively destroys the cartilage that acts like a shock absorber in the joints and results in pain, stiffness, and eventually loss of movement in the affected joint.
The study involved 142 overweight and obese older adults with osteoarthritis of the knee who participated in an 18 month weight loss program.

By the end of the weight loss program, the participants lost an average of nearly 3% of their body weight.
But when researchers measured the load on the knee joints, they found that each pound of weight loss was associated with a 4 pound reduction in knee-joint load.

Accumulated over thousands of steps taken each day, researchers say the effects of this reduction of pressure on the knees should have a significant impact on the progression of osteoarthritis of the knee. They say more studies are needed to confirm this assumption.

By Jennifer Warner, reviewed by Michael W. Smith, MD


Let me know what you guys think!

No comments:

Post a Comment