Tuesday, May 17, 2011

Walking Tall

I am 6’1” not to be confused with 5’1” or 5’6” …if I am dressing up you better believe I am rocking some heels, no not the kitten heels, I am talking 4-6”…yes that’s correct I would be upwards of 6’6”….I am told I am tall on daily basis and to them I say “thank you! I had no idea”…right. Although that comment when said the right way without and implied (geeze you’re a giant) can in fact be flattering, it does get very annoying.

Now don’t get me wrong I LOVE my height. I played volleyball in college and it definitely served a purpose on the court. Regardless of the confidence I have, there has always been something about being surrounded by “normal sized” women that made me feel like the BIG GIRL…I slumped my shoulders in pictures, covered my stomach and tried to do what ever I could to minimize my size. It wasn’t until about 2 months ago when I started training for my first bodybuilding competition that I realized my body would never proportionately look like my smaller friend’s cute figures or the fitness models I strived to look like. And to my surprise I am totally ok with that.

As with so many of the women in my life I've always idealized how I “should” look, I don't think I realized it until now but it has caused a chain reaction, my confidence lags, I may feel overwhelmed and it makes it easier for complacency to set in. Although it takes a lot of work and I am not quite where I want to be I feel better than I ever have, both emotionally and physically.

 What I am learning along the way is that there is no cookie cutter method of reaching your goals and enjoying the process is 99.9% of the fun. My goal with this blog is to explore the personal, nutritional and fitness lessons I am learning and pass them along to my fellow ladies. I hope you enjoy and remember to walk tall...put your shoulders back, chest out (whether it's big or small), smile big, have a little swagger and be thankful for the blessings in your life!

1 comment:

  1. Love this blog! I'm so glad you're doing this! You look amazing! xoxo

    ReplyDelete