Monday, December 5, 2011

Tis' The Season

Around the holidays so many true reasons for celebrating the season get lost in the hustle and bustle. We are expected to be jolly, generous, loving and energetic. And on top of decking the halls and baking goodies, we hold ourselves to an even higher standard.


There are wonderful things about this time of year. Celebrating the birth of our savor, seeing family after too much time apart, reminiscing our childhood memories, honoring old traditions and creating new ones. So why is it that the holidays can be the hardest time of the year for so many people? As for me I am reminded that time has flown by so quickly, I am flooded with thoughts of my family that has past. I spend time stressing about money, cooking for hours on in and am bothered that the joy I had as a child with an endless imagination is no longer…

It has taken 25 years but it has finally started sinking in that there are very few things I have any control over… One area I do have control over, however, is how I am feeling physically. Am I working out? Eating clean? Taking time for myself?

The weather with its gloomy skies, rain or snow can take a toll. Surprise! I have not control over that. But, the post holiday guilt that sets in from months of indulging in my favorite treats? I can control that…Instead of saying to myself year after year, “ok after Thanksgiving!”….”ok after Christmas!”…. “ok, but seriously, my New Years resolution  will be…”

Why not take some time to better yourself this season? Consider it your “me” gift! Come out of the holidays with renewed energy, peace, joy and confidence.

Instead of a New Years solution I encourage you to join me in setting some “holiday guidelines” I have listed a few of mine!

  1. Minimize my portions
    1. Enjoy a favorite treat or two but use self control
    2. Set myself a smaller plate at dinner
    3. Drink plenty of water as opposed to wine, spiced cider and cocoa
  2. Take some time for myself
    1. Sneak away to the gym
    2. Go on a nice evening walk after a big meal
    3. Get plenty of rest
  3. Learn to appreciate the here and now:
    1. Stop sweating the small stuff
    2. Appreciate the time I have with each and every person…regardless of any family tension (because everyone has some of that good ole’ drama).
  4. Don’t waste time on regrets, like:
    1. Who I miss or what my last interaction was with someone I have lost
    2. How eager I was to grow up
    3. Feeling sad or lonely at times when I “should” be joyful.
Stay tuned and I will post ideas for your “me” gift!

1 comment: